Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no C language compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

keenanbr

Programmer
Oct 3, 2001
IE
Using Informix I4gl Version 4.10.UC2, when i choose Module->Compile I get the message 'There is no C language compiler contained in any directory in your path.'. I do have /bin, where cc is located, in my PATH and if i do Module->Modify->Compile it attempts to compile but gets an error before it reaches any code. Furthermore if i issue c4gl from the command line the program compiles successfully. What am I missing. Probably (and hopefully) something really simple.
Thanks in advance.

It's been a long time since I've used I4gl 4.10. I think you should check if you set your path enviroment variabel in your .login file. If you do, I suggest that you try to set it in your .cshrc file. I've noticed that sometimes it matters that path's used by Informix, are set in the .cshrc file instead of .login. It seems that when Informix starts programs from "inside" it reads only the .cshrc file and the program started loses kontakt with the parents enviroment variables.
Thorkild

I'm using the korn shell so i added env vars to .kshrc. i changed to c shell and also to the bourne shell and i still got the same message. if i enter !type cc i get cc is /bin/cc so informix seems to know about it. any other suggestions wouldbe much appreciated.

Hello again
This is a long shot, but there are a couple of enviroment variabels that are used when compiling. It shouldn't be necessary to set them because you are using a standard compiler, but no harm done trying.
You should place then in .profile, .cshrc or .kshrc
They are INFORMIXC and CC. They are new from version I4GL 4.1
I'am using them in the following way with the gcc C compiler in the 4GL RDS enviroment to produce fglgo and fgldb p-code runners. This is for Bourne/Korn Shell.
CC=${CC:-"gcc -fwritable-strings -traditional"}
INFORMIXC=${INFORMIXC:-${CC}}

I belive that you should use for cc (again Bourne/Korn Shell)
CC=${CC:-cc}
INFORMIXC=${INFORMIXC:-${CC}}

Thorkild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back