Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no bootup on RM Entry level pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickG

Technical User
Jan 7, 2000
GB
I have 2 RM entry level PCs with Celeron processors which will not power up even though the PSU's are sound. There is power to the monitor and the hard drive sounds as though it is spinning but nothing else.

any suggestions out there?

Mick Gallagher
mick_gallagher@yahoo.co.uk

do you get an output to your keyboard ( does the num lock LED go on and off if you press it). if yes you have a video card issue, if not then either a processor or motherboard problem. try re-seating the processor.
does the machine beep at you, if yes then this could be memory or video issue. try with only 1 stick of RAM in.

I have replaced every component except the motherboard and nothing has changed. There is no beep at startup and keyboard leds do not blink but the power led lights up

Mick Gallagher

There is also a power good line coming from the PS. If it doesn't come up, or comes up late, the processor stops. Have seen this also on PS power select switch set wrong. If set at 220 v. would get marginal power up but not enough to contine processing.
You need to find a way to determine if the processor is running. A logic probe or a scope.
Sounds more like power than anything else.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

sounds like either 2 shafted processors or a duff m board

Thanks for the suggestions. I stripped out all components and replaced them and hey presto! they both booted up as if nothing was wrong. I can only presume as they had both been moved recently that transit had loosened the memory modules causing them to fail.

Mick Gallagher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back