Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwnancar

MIS
Jan 16, 2003
US
I have a brand new Chainteck MPM800-3. Worked fine last week with XP. Today on boot, no fan, on video. I disconnected every thing, same thing. Disconnected keyboard and mouse, now fan comes on as soon as ac is applied. But still no video, no boot, on beeps. Pluged keyboard and mouse back in, same thing fan comes on but nothing else works.

+12v is 11.5 is that low enough to cause a problem? others 3.3, +5,-5, -12 seem ok.

Check the seating of the GFX card, just a notch off and no POST (like you describe)...

also check the IDE cables, unplug from MoBo, not the drive... if it posts then replace the cable...

Clear the CMOS, sometimes that can also be a problem solver...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Molex power connector seated and latched?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Removed all cards and cables.

molex firmly connected
I have only monitor, memory, cpu, power supply connected to mother board.

also cleared cmos
could of mother board or cpu died, they are the only new parts in this box? but they worked for about 4 hours before the problem started.

It could be worth a try to re-seat the heatsink\fan\cpu. Which socket would that be?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

+12v is 11.5 is that low enough to cause a problem? others 3.3, +5,-5, -12 seem ok"

Its hard to say, but worth a shot if you can try and borrow a power supply from a friend to try out and see if thats indeed the problem. It could be you have found the problem.

11.5V without a heavy load is in my experience unusually low, unless you are relying on the bios to measure it in which case it is anyone's guess what the voltage actually is.

In my experience most PSU's actually put out 12.2 - 12.6 V (thats real Voltmeter with leads volts) on the 12V line until things get really heavy

If you have this reading on a voltmeter with nothing else connected you may have a dud powersupply, or a MB/processor problem.

Now other impertinent question - you did make sure any metal posts the MB is mounted onto are not shorting the board and that there are no spare posts still under there but now having no screw hole in the new board?

I already stated concerns about the 12 volt line but i didnt mention anything about motherboard mounting posts and such because he mentioned the unit was running for a week. So, unless he has changed the post situtation, all should be well there.

Time to hear from rwnancar again.

I have decided to call the vendor and ask for a rma # for the mother board. The only question being is the cpu also bad? I bought both from the same place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back