Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No boot up black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcboy1

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
CA
I went to upgrade the harddrive and part way inot installing windows XP the computer crashed, tried load it again then something burnt or overheated. After that there was nothing on the montior. Changed montitors and had windows error one of the devices was not functing properly. Changed video card nothing, check powere supply low power output changed power supply, nothing. Changed back to original hardrive nothing.
What happens now is hardrive powers up and then nothing shows the first screen with processor, montior is still black. Yes there is power and the montior works.

try removing all non vital components (modem, Nic, soundcard, power to floppy and cdrom) something may be shorting out. also try swapping ram.

What model of hard drives and motherboard are you using?

The processor is a AMD-K6(tm) 3d Processor 501Mhz
The hard dives are as follows an old Cavier used as temporay until I upgraded to Maxtor 30 Gig.
during the hard drive upgrade is when the problem started again.
I replaced computer because it would just shut down for no reason. It has been working fine until the tried to upgrade.

Ok Did like you suggested, I pulled everything out including the fan on the motherboard.
Changed ram, changed video card, Still nothing
What is next?

Just so I understand you - the computer will not even POST, right? No text about you video card's version, no counting through RAM, no beep when the power is turned on?

Connect your CPU fan back up - it's a 'vital system component' and isn't related to this problem.

Make sure you pull the ribbon cables for the floppy and drives off the motherboard-side connectors (unless you can get as far as the BIOS error messge saying they're missing). Unplug the power from your CD and HD as well as your floppy even though they're not connected.

If it fails to POST after this, then scroll down my post from today about checking the motherboard capacitors here (ignore the drive diagnostic stuff for now):

thread751-551067 you don't find a problem with the caps, it sounds like either a fried motherboard or CPU. Bad RAM or PSU would have been my other guess, but you replaced those. I'm not sure a dead CMOS battery would do this. You didn't change the CMOS jumper to RESET and forget to take it off, did you?

HI
I removed all the ribbon connectors, power cable and even removed the CD,Floppy and all but the video card, I still have a black screen. Checked the battery and seems to have enough power, I used a battey tester 1.5 button setting.
I examined the motherboard closely and see what appears to me as two capacitors are bulging.
I guess it time for a new Mother Board and CPU
Thanks for your help

ANy suggestion as to what to replace it with? I have a 2.4 process now this is for my son who does some chating and surfing very little gaming right now

Sorry to hear, bcboy. What model of motherboard was it, by the way? I've got an Abit KT7 and and AUSU AV266 right now with the same problem. I fix 'em up for the neighborhood kids than can't afford computers when I have time.

You can start another thread if you're looking for suggestions on replacement motherboard/cpu combos. I've always ordered on-line bundle from outfits that put together the CPU+heatsing/mobo/RAM and burn in before shipping. That is, if I'm looking for a no-brainer, low-price drop-in rather than newest/top of the line.

You'll have to consider heat issues and your current power supply when shopping. If you had a K6 in there now, the power supply and case cooling will probably *not* handle a 2100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back