Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Boot Device(s) Selected

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHUDMAN

Programmer
Dec 12, 2000
US
Dell Latitude CPi R400GT PII-400, 128MB, 10GB HDD, CD Bay, legacy USB. Phoenix Bios A09, 1988
Boot Config:
1st: CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
2nd:Diskette Drive
3rd: Modular Bay HDD

System designed for 98/NT, Want to load Win2000, Unknown OS loaded. Inherited from Grandmother NO LEGACY DISK OR CD RECOVERY AVAILABLE.
On startup only able to access F2 setup, otherwise recieve this message:
No bootable device(s) selected.
attempted many configurations of Boot Config settings. No luck. Any suggestions?

Chad L. Miller
Configuration Manager
SEI/CMMI Certified

CHUDMAN,

Do you have Windows 98 or Windows 2000 installed on the hard drive? Do you have a Windows 2000 CD that you can use to install? You should be able to get a bootable floppy image from bootdisk.com if you don't have one.

It looks like you can download a BIOS update from Dell for that laptop. The updated BIOS may support booting from the CD.

On the other hand, you could also have a bad hard drive. I'd check it with the drive manufacturer's utility program to rule this out.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

I have Win2000 with a SP4 to install and it will not install or begin the process.
I will trythe bootable floppy in the morning and let you know what is happening.

Chad L. Miller
Configuration Manager
SEI/CMMI Certified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back