Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No boot condition with weird video corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
This is an older Windows 7 32-bit machine. See picture of what's happening. It doesn't boot, just shows this distorted video. It happens and then goes away for months at a time. Here's the troubleshooting I have done.
Video card = ATI Radeon HD 3300 graphics

Tested power supply - came back slightly outside of parameters, so I put in a used power supply. Thought this would fix it immediately, but it did NOT fix the problem.

Video memory test - passed
Hard drive test - passed
Memory test - passed
CPU stress test - passed

I finally chose the boot option in Windows 7 "enable low resolution video" and it booted normally for the first time it 10 attempts!!! No problems after that.

Then, I disabled the LogMeIn Mirror Driver (just a hunch) and updated the video card driver to latest. Very confused.

IMG_0309_fnrynr.jpg

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Would that messed up screen only be present during the boot phase of Windows and fine during the login screen and the rest of Windows? No issues in the BIOS?

If you agree with the above, I had the same issue with one PC at the last place I worked. Never got it solved and am very intrigued as to what it is. I dont think my PC had a video card in it and I installed one to rid myself of the issue.....

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

No - it stops booting at the point you see in the picture. Can't go into Safe Mode, nothing. Dead in the water. Then it starts working and works for a few months.

I'm almost down to it being the motherboard on its way out!!!???

Replace "on its way out" with "likely to fail completely", and the suspect would be a 'cracked' joint on the board.

The 'fix' would be to visit ebay and buy a 'gamer's' upgraded cast off video card.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

So are you saying it's the motherboard? Because the video is integrated onto this board. Replacing video card in that case might not help, but clarify what you are thinking.

The 'cracked joint' is most likely to be on the video chip, as the this is the second most component that is subject to thermal stresses, leading to weakening [and breaking] of the soldered joints, and unlike the CPU display processors are rarely in a socket and only have minimal (if any) heat sinking arrangements.

Putting in an external video card will disable the on board video therefore bypassing the (f)ailing hardware component.

Chris.

I had an occasionally failing video which I replaced with an external card. It worked for a few months and then the black screen problems started happening again. Not as pretty as yours: mine was just a black screen followed by a self-reboot. If your problem is anything like mine, the PC needs replacing.

Yeah, well this computer is the customer's OLD computer which I am trying to get him off of and onto his new Windows 10 computers but he keeps going back to it because he doesn't like Windows 10!! So, it's a complicated situation both technically and socially.

Not sure I can recommend that a video card will be a guaranteed fix for him.

Give them the choices of ... ...

1: New computer running Linux Mint

2: New computer running Windows 7 (While you can still buy it on Ebay)

Or

3: Put up with it bombing out every now and again until it dies completely, then start again with only options 1 or 2.

I long since gave up pandering to clients who always know better than the person they pay to know what they don't.

Chris.

Might give the graphics chip a stress test by cooling it with spray. If it is a joint problem that might make it worse. You could also flex the board a bit. That might make it worse, or possibly make it better.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Already gave him those options and put the ball in his court. I believe that his Lenovo A740 will run Windows 7. He had Windows 8 on it and then upgraded to Windows 10 but no love with either 8 or 10. His true love is Windows 7.

I'm not going to mess with the old computer. He's a lawyer - he might sue me if I "just bend the graphics card a bit to test out a theory" and then it dies completely!!!! Not touching it. Also not really willing to put in another video card because it might NOT be a fix.

Most likely I won't hear from him again for another two months until it craps out again!!!!! Kicking the can down the road. Thanks for all the replies.

There's always Classic Shell he can use to customize the start menu and such.

I'm sure you are already aware of it, but it's worth a shot. I once set this up when Win7 was still the "current" OS, and the individual wanted the old XP start menu.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Hey - did you answer the wrong question?? Your answer seems out of context!!

No. Your main question was the video issue, but as an aside, you mentioned about the OS upgrade.
goombawaho said:
He had Windows 8 on it and then upgraded to Windows 10 but no love with either 8 or 10. His true love is Windows 7.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Ok, got it. As I mentioned, I have heard nothing from him since reviving the Windows 7 computer this last time. I will hear from him again only when it experiences the no boot/screwed up video symptoms and NOT until then, I suspect.

So much for being proactive to avoid future problems on HIS part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back