Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no BGP notifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioX

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2001
US
I have a couple routers setup and now they are not sending BGP notifications to each other.

When I do a show ip bgp neigh
bgp state=active
opens sent=0 received=0
etc

It shows this on its two neighboring routers also

Here is a striped copy of the BGP config
router bgp 12345
no synchronization
bgp log-neighbor-changes
network 12.xxx.xxx.0 mask 255.255.252.0
network 12.xxx.xxx.0 mask 255.255.255.0
network 66.xxx.xxx.0 mask 255.255.224.0
neighbor 66.xxx.xxx.1 remote-as 12345
neighbor 66.xxx.xxx.5 remote-as 12345
no auto-summary

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

The BGP state "ACTIVE" indicates that they have not yet successfully negotiated a session. If you don't have a session up and running you won't get any notifications.

Ok how can I go about finding out why a session will not negotiate because this was working at one time.

debug ip bgp events" should do the trick for you, or "debug ip bgp" if it isn't a busy router. You should know your answer in a few seconds. If you don't have console or terminal logging turned on (depending on which you're using) you'll need to do a "show log" to see the results.

Let us know how it turns out.

John

Can the bgp speakers ping each other? If not, they will not be able to form the bgp neighborship since basic connectivity is required. Also, is this IBGP or EBGP you're trying to do? From your config you're trying to neighbor with a speaker in the same AS which means IBGP. Can you post configs for both sides, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back