Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NO BEEP on system startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpresley

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2002
US
My computer will not boot at all. NO system check beeps happen when booting... any ideas? I DO have a book SOMEWHERE that lists what the beeps mean, but damned if i can find it.

thanks
-Dave

You don't say whether the fans are spinning up and lights coming on. If not it is probably your power supply (or the lead or wall socket, check those first) If the lights and fans are working try removing all cards except video and unplugging all drives. If it works then replace one item at a time until you get the failure. If that fails you could try reseating the RAM and CPU. If all that fails you probably have a dead motherboard or CPU. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

The fans are spinning up... lights blink on the keyboard... I beleive it's the powersupply, but i just was wanting some feedback. One of the other posts on here kinda gave me some insight. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!

-Dave

If your video card is out, then it may be booting and you just don't know it. Try another video card. Travis McGuire
CCNA, Network+, A+

reset the Bios by unplugging the power source from the motherboard and resetting the jumper.This will reset Bios to a default state and then try rebooting.

To reset the BIOS, you must find the correct jumper on the motherboard, I think usually it is jumper 5, but it could be different, so check the documentation or it could possibly be labeled on the motherboard. On most motherboards you short pins 2 and 3 for at least 5 seconds and then place the jumper to connect 1 and 2 again just as it was before. Travis McGuire
CCNA, Network+, A+

Couldn't i jsut pull out the CMOS battery for a few mins and achieve the same result?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back