Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No auto disconnect prompt in IE 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog

Programmer
May 30, 2001
US
I am trying to get an auto disconnect prompt when a user closes IE6 (win XP).

Currently you have to remember to click on connection in system tray and close connection there. It works real well unless user forgets to do so and leaves connection open.

I know I can set a time out to disconnect after a period of inactivity. Also, I know you are "supposed to be able to get an auto disconnect prompt" by doing the following:

Hit tools at the top and go down to internet options in internet explorer. Go under the connection tab and highlight default dialer. then hit settings over to the right. then hit advanced down at the bottom. down at the bottom of this page it says "disconnect when connection may no longer be needed".

But, the "disconnect when connection may no longer be needed" does not work on the computer in question. You can check the box but you still have to click on connection and then close it.

Couldn't find anything in Microsoft Knowledgebase related to IE6. Previous versions of IE (and previous versions of Windows) occasionally required a registry edit to fix the problem. But I couldn't even find the keys mentioned in Win xp registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back