Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No audio with downloaded flv 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patth9

MIS
Aug 13, 2002
US
All of a sudden, when I download a flv video file, to export into QT, the video is fine, but there is no audio. I've been using Safari with great success until now. Can anyone bring me up to date?

Patt

All downloads are for personal use only.

Can you clarify your process?
to export into QT
makes little sense. One exports from something and imports into something. How is QT really being used here?

New PosttwiSSt (Programmer) -
Downloaded suggestion, the video.flv plays just fine.
Don't think I've allowed the updated to update QT, however how would I check? There were two updates, can't remember which programs they was for, possible a java script???

I download the Youtube video via Safari, then drop the video (sometimes but not always rename it) into the QT icon and it plays. Then I export via QT into a mov. and normally it works just fine. Of course, I could have changed a setting and don't remember. Of couse, I also have Perian installed.

Thanks for taking a look at my dilemma.

Patt

I found the two updates I've allowed both were 6/8/09
Java for Mac OS x 10.4 Release 8 1.0
and
Security Update 2009-002 (Power Pc)

Others were 5/4/09 and I know the downloaded videos worked at that time.

I forgot to mention I'm on a DDR G4 using Tiger 10.4.11

Patt

Though still uncertain of what you are trying to do with the video once downloaded (editing further, adding to ipod?), consider this recipe...

Switch to Firefox as your web browser. Add the optional 'DownloadHelper' extension. Go to YouTube, use DownloadHelper to see the available formats to download. Instead of the FLV file, choose the MP4 file that YouTube offers as one of the 'HQ' alternatives. On my computer, the filename displays as "[HQ18]...". That MP4 file is typically QT/iTunes/iPod-ready. No further conversion is needed.

Firefox and VLC are great freeware GPL apps that offer more features than Safari and QT. Go figure. :)

spamjim (Instructor)

Gee, I didn't know there was video download extention for Firefox.

I learn line dancing by downloading certain dances, as well as following an instructor. I edit the dances in Adobe Premiere to include the steps, which I have created, and the file has to be mov. Most people think I work way too hard to learn line dancing, but it's what works for me. This is just for me, no one else is interested.

It still puzzles me, seems there's a problem exporting in QT. But now I don't have to switch to Safari every time I want to download, which really isn't very often.

You are my HERO, spamjim!, thank you very much!

Patt

we have seen many issues with QT and video playback and suggest to our clients that they use VLC. Like spamjim said, FireFox and VLC offer more features and less headache for users than the apps shipped with the OS.
You can check the version of QT by selecting About Quick Time from the quick time menu, the latest is QuickTime 7.6.2.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

I must share that I found out what my problem was not being about to get .flv to export into .mov. Seems I DID have a wrong setting in QT. I never caught it until today. I forgot several weeks ago that I was trying to export .mov into mpeg4 before I learned it was easier to do via itune.

However, I learned 4 great things during my visit on Tek-tips, that I can now download videos using firefox, there is another choice besides QT, which is VLC, I needed to update QT, and this is a great place to come for help.

Thanks,

Patt

Don't forget to REPAIR PERMISSIONS when doing updates to OS 10 and applications.

....JIM....

Hum? I looked up Repair Permissions in the help file, but found nothing. Have NO idea how to do this task.

Patt

In the applications folder go to Utilities - Disk Utility - select the first aid tab, select your HD in the left hand panel and click on repair permmissions on the lower right.

It should take some time to run, so don't worry about it taking a long time

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

It is unlikely (but not impossible) that incorrectly set permissions had anything to do with this. And it was realized that permissions were not involved.

Repairing permissions is a troubleshooting step, not a maintenance step whenever applying updates to OS 10 and applications. If you need to repair permissions after each update then you have something seriously wrong with your system and a more qualified person needs to look at it. You shouldn't have a process continually screwing up your permissions so that they need repeated repair. That's a huge security vulnerability.

That is a matter of opinion and experience, especially with OS10! And Macworld is not always right!!

....JIM....

If one needs experience, learn from these folks...

I'm not sure why we are discussing permission repair when it had nothing to do with this FLV issue. I don't think permission repair is wrong... it just has no place in this topic. The issue was discovered and corrected a day before permission repair was mentioned. Permission repair is not a magic cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back