Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No argument with SmartScreen Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficeAnimal

Technical User
Jun 4, 2009
AU
I have been trying to download PC Optimizer Pro. SmartScreen Filter stops me. I get the message:
"PCOptimizerProSetup.exe is unsafe to download and was blocked by SmartScreen Filter.
There is no opportunity to dispute this decision. No options. No choice. No override.

How can I do the download I WISH TO?

"Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster is a maniac?."
George Carlin

Microsoft Security Essentials says that is a bad download, also. I'd skip it if I were you. It must contain malware.

Jim

More info:

Alert level
Program:Win32/PCOptimizerPro
Encyclopedia entry
Updated: Apr 17, 2011 | Published: Mar 09, 2010
Aliases
PC Optimizer Pro (other)
Alert Level (?)
High
Summary
Program:Win32/PCOptimizerPro is a program that is promoted as a system optimization tool. Some versions of this program may display deceptive or fraudulent claims about files, registry entries and/or other items on the system. These versions are detected by Microsoft security products.

Jim

From here:

Can I customize a list of trusted sites for SmartScreen Filter in Internet Explorer 8?

You can configure SmartScreen Filter not to check websites listed in the Trusted sites zone. By default, SmartScreen Filter checks these sites, but you can turn checking off for this zone by following these steps:

Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Security tab.

Click the Trusted sites icon, and then click Custom level.

In the Security Settings dialog box, scroll to find Use SmartScreen Filter, and then click Disable.

Click OK, and then click OK again.

Thanks folks

"Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster is a maniac?."
George Carlin

I would also say to "skip it" even if not malware, it's more like junk ware. Find other tools to clean up your computer: CCleaner for temp files and registry cleaning, Autoruns or MSconfig to minimize startup items and malware scanners (Rogue Killer, TDSS Killer, MalwareByte's).

Try to keep your machine as clean as possible of programs that start when windows starts and run these "on demand" programs when YOU choose.

I downloaded it as a test and Microsoft Security Essentials immediately quarantined it and would not let me install it.

Jim

I turn my nose up at it as well though I would argue as to whether it's proper "malware".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back