Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NO APPENDABLE MEDIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

torri

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2000
US
I have set-up a father/son rotation system. Monday - Friday I run a Differentail backup and have assigned 4 slots(tapes) to this job. On Saturday I run a full backup and assigned 3 slots(tapes) to that job. The first 4 days the differentail job ran and appended to the correct tape. Once the tape was full it did not locate the next tape assigned to the job. I received a message "No appendable media could be mounted" and the job failed. The tape was not flaged as FULL, so I do not understand what happened. I noticed before I set-up this process that tapes I set-up went into the Scratch Media section and the jobs would grab them as needed. Now that I set uup 2 jobs, I assigned job names to the tapes and moved them to the job media instead of scratch media section. Am I wrong in doing this????

i tried this solution from veritas, because we are having a similar problem -
unfortunately for us it didnt work , but i mite for you.
Im gonna try a cleaning tape next :)

Also it mite be because the backup went over two tapes and the catalog couldnt pick it up.

essentially go to its a good place to start

i am a muppet.

I just checked the job definitions and it said terminate job if no appendable media is available, changed it back and everything was hunky dory.

However i am sure i set it right before.

I think theres someone sabotaging our system to get me the sack!

im paranoid!!!!

yah but you may want to check that your not overwriting something you backed up a hour earlier. Veritas media sets are a huge pain. The overwrite protection times are a mess. I just had to reinstall and cat all my tapes again and fussing with the overwrite protection times are a pain because they all say they have the same overwrite time. It's hard to explain my exact grip, but.. =_=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back