Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NLB Web servers with 2 NICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hondy

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
GB
Hi

I have a few web servers, each server has 2 NICs, one for the domain traffic and one for the public web traffic. NLB is on the public NIC.

The problem I am facing is that due to Win2008's Network Location Awareness the NIC that handles the domain traffic has to have a default gateway otherwise NLA won't see the domain. This presents a problem because the web traffic NIC must also have a default gateway so that the public traffic has a return route.

If NLA wasn't there I wouldn't have to have a default gateway on the domain NIC and things would be fine.

My question is, does anyone run a similar setup and how did you get around this problem?

Thanks

H

I don't understand why you require 2 gateways. Worst case you could put some static routes in.

2008 also requires the nlb nics to have ip forwarding turned on in a lot of circumstances or won't work. You can do that with a reg key or netsh interface ipv4 set int "[name of the NIC]" forwarding=enabled

Hi

I don't want 2 default gateways, I only want one on the public tier but NLA also requires one so its kind of forcing me to. If I don't have a default gateway on the domain nic when I reboot it the domain can't be found unless I disable the nlb nic. I have ms looking at it but they haven't come up with anything yet.

It's the network location awareness that is causing me problems

Maybe that's an option, I was hoping to resolve the issue rather than work around it.

Am I the only one running NLB and Domain traffic on one NIC and public traffic on another NIC?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back