Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NLB 2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

grabrail

Technical User
Aug 15, 2001
GB
I have 2 questions about NLB in Windows 2003.

1) Currently we have an NLB cluster configured in Unicast mode. Also on the 2 servers we have HP NIC team configured.

I have been told this is not a supported configuration and can cause problems in NLB. Due to some network related performance issues we have decided to break the NIC team and use single NIC on the NLB clustered servers.

My question is, once I break the team and configure the single NIC, what, if any, reconfiguration will I need to do to NLB for it to work properly again.

2) Is it possible to set up port filtering for NLB so that port 80 is blocked to the physical NIC's unless it comes through the cluster IP?

Basically our NLB is configured on 2 web servers, and the url the users have been given directs to the VIP. However some users know the IP addresses of the WEB servers directly and are accessing them instead of the VIP.

We would like to set up the filtering if possible, if not we will need to change the IP addresses of the web servers.

TIA

Part 2 - Have your websites only listen for 80 traffic on that VIP.

Part 1 - The NLB is pretty simple to setup, so if you run into problems after breaking the teams, then it should only take a minute to reinput the proper settings. I believe the NLB shoud survive as long as the IP of the Teamed NICs is being used on the single NIC you a breaking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back