Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIS under IRIX 6.5 - Fuel server, Octane node

Status
Not open for further replies.

lparsons42

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2007
US
I am managing a network of SGI's that includes both Fuels and Octanes (as well as an Altix cluster). The fuels and octanes are all running IRIX 6.5, the Altix is running SuSE Linux.

One Fuel serves as the NIS master for the network, with another serving as the NIS slave. There are approximately 7 fuels and 4 ro 5 octanes.

The fuels all get their NIS data fine, and make NFS mounts as needed from the Altix as well as from one of the octanes.

The octanes, however, are having difficulties getting NIS information from the fuels. The octanes can make NFS mounts from each other as well as from the Altix.

None of the fuels are currently exporting any NFS volumes.

One octane in particular, when I try to run 'ypcat hosts':
Code:
ypcat:  can't bind to NIS server for domain XXXXX.YYY. Reason:  can't bind to a server which serves domain.

I have tried configuring the NIS settings for the octanes both through system manager as well as through the console. I have yet to figure out why the octanes will not cooperate. The 'nsd' deamon is running.

I found that the solution to this problem was in a file known as '/var/yp/binding/(domain_name)/ypservers'

In that file, you can specify exactly which ypservers to communicate with. For whatever reason, the troubled Octane was not finding the ypserver that it needed. So I specified the correct server in that file and now life is peachy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back