Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

68ron

ISP
Jan 15, 2003
HR
HI,

NIM standalone client successfully boots over the network but it doesnt configure the disks, therefore it cant perform mksysb install. Error warning on the console is “There are no disks available on this system". Has anyone experienced such problem?

Thanks,
ron

What size disk(s) are installed in the client?

It could be that the mksysb image you are trying to restore is too large for the disk(s) selected for the restore. More commonly, the mksysb image is from a system who's rootvg is mirrored on two disks. The system you are restoring to only has a single disk selected for the restore.

Hope this helps?

HI,

Problem is that I cant select disks from "Welcome to BOS Installation and Maintenance" menu, cause disks are not defined. Mksysb image that i am trying to restore is from that same client without hardware changes.

Thanks anyway

Do you get the same problem if you bosboot from an aix cd or mksysb tape?

Hi, it looks like you have a hardware problem.

Does this system have any disks attached?

If yes are they available for this system ?

HI,

This system has a running AIX on it, and some trial software, so the disks are attached and available. Now I have to go a month back in time using mksysb image on my NIM master. I’ve initiated network boot and system successfully boots over the network but I can’t go on with installation process. After choosing "Start Install now with Default settings" i get Installation Warning " BOS inst may destroy...." and prompt for choosing 1 to Continue installation process. After choosing "Continue installation process" I get back to language selection!?

Ron

Was this system originally installed from your NIM master? If not maybe the lppsource does not contain the required drivers for those disks or the adapter they are on.

HI,

Yes, the problem is in lpp_source. I can't even install that machine from aix installation media (09/2001 LCD4-0286-07)from which i made lpp_source. Machine type is IBM,7028-6C1 so if anyone run in to the same problem ...

Thanks,
ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back