Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIM location

Status
Not open for further replies.

THOR01

MIS
Jul 26, 2007
US
Just starting to set up NIM master and clients to manage mksysb's so that if needed we could use those mksysb's to restore a server or boot a server. Management is wanting to have the NIM server at our DR site. Are there issues with having it at a remote site?

I don't see a huge issue. The nim server doesn't need to be on the same physical subnet as the server it is performing maintenance on. Obviously you'll have potential firewall issues that you may or may not have to work out.

I think the biggest potential issue would be network throughput (not necessarily latency). Do you have a good connection to your nim server? Assuming you'll be dumping mksysb images to it, you'll need to have a good amount of bandwidth or they'll take a long, long time. Same goes for patching and other maintenance tasks.

Thanks, I've been looking/reading it. Whew 680 pages, Like
"War and Peace"!

:) Sorry THOR01 but I have learned that by reading Redbooks, You will really gain more than just solving the problem you are having right now!

Regards,
Khalid

Hey no problem. I've READ a few of those. Company won't/doesn't send folks to any training. So RedBooks have been my course work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back