Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nic's and linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScreamerChaotix

Technical User
Jul 26, 2002
US
Currently I'm using Mandrake 7.1, 2.2.16. I have plans of upgrading to newer versions of suse in the future, but for the time being I'd like to get online using Mandrake. The problem is, I keep getting network interface cards that claim to work with Linux...and yet never do! I'm using a Netgear FA311, and how happy was I when I learned the drivers included don't work with all kernels. I've done all the hunting I care to for drivers that work, but have yet to find a single one that does. True, I've been told to just update my kernel, but so far no luck. I'd really rather not buy yet another card that refuses to work, so can anyone offer some advice on what type of desktop card works with Linux out of the box? Or any advice for that matter would be appreciated.

I'm currently using a Netgear FA312 (almost the same as 311) without any problems on Mandrake 9.0. I'm in windows right now, so I'll have to reboot to check the kernal & driver info for you. I'll be back.........

I use 3com cards. 3c509b on eth0 and 3c515 on eth1. Of course I use suse 7.2.

But it shouldn't matter much. Make sure that in the bios you disable PnP. You don't want the bios detecting the cards, linux will do fine if you have the proper drivers and install them correctly. Also note that linux is weird in that the location of the cards in the machine must match their eth location. First position eth0 Second position eth1 and so on.

But I recommend any of the intel or 3com cards and for some weird reason linux likes older cards more than newer ones.

BTW the default install usually installs the modules needed for most cards, but a recompile of the kernel is always a good idea. John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

I'm back.. using kernal 2.4.19 (Mandrake 9.0), my FA312 was dected at install as natsemi DP83810.

Thanks for the help. I just purchased a burner and managed to get mandy 9.0, works like a charm now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back