Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nicking cable pairs when using circular cable cutters 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmisclvlv

Vendor
Oct 4, 2022
US
I was curious to see if anyone else runs into this issue when using for example the yellow cable cutters for a cable to remove the jacket?

I've noticed that sometimes the copper cable gets nicked when I use the adjustable cable cutter to pull the jacket off. New paragraph this is led to sometimes troubleshooting bad cable pairs after an installation. I've gone to just using the pull string instead of the cable cutters. Use the jacket

The pullstring is there for a reason. Use the cutter/stripper to get to the pullstring, then use that to strip back the jacket, and use electrician's scissors to cut the jacket.

I always use a knife, have not nicked through to the pairs insulation even, in decades. All the jacket needs is a slight cut then bend it and it will break without having to cut all the way through the jacket.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Electrician's scissors noted is the way to go for me.

Learn to score the jacket/sheath part way down the end of a cable with the scissors blades by squeezing the scissors slightly, rotating it around the cable sheath about almost half way around, then bend the jacket once or twice back and forth to weaken the sheath more, then pull it off hard, then you can do the string thing as noted above.

Once you master it you might find it's the fastest way, no fancy stripper required.
I haven't done the string thing in years, except to cut it out of the way after pulling the sheath off.
I do not hold scissors like you would normally do with a thumb and finger.
I use my ring finger in the bottom loop of the scissors and my thumb to guide the top loop from the side, without sticking my thumb in the loop.

I have always used Klein 2100-7 scissors for the last 40 years but I recently purchased a cheaper(cost) pair Southwire ESS-1 and they seem comparable so far.

Tip - You can use a cheap pair of kitchen scissors to cut 25pr cable straight through, you can cut a few pieces in seconds!

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I use a wall paper razor that is retractable and fits it my shirt pocket. A quick score around the jacket and bend it to get it to break and pull it off. Haven't used wire strippers in over twenty years. Electricians scissors are great if you wear a tool belt but can be painful if you have them in your pants pocket and bend wrong.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

For low pair count cable, I use a Cyclops 2 Cable Jacket Stripper. I vaguely remember being able to use it to cut the jacket on 25-pair cable as well. [smile]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

I just ordered a cyclops thanks for the recommendation saw a video demonstration.

Got the CYCLOPS and WOW it's the best stripper I have ever used. No nicks or cuts.

It is a little tricky to get use to the band to separates the two ends and insert the cable but I really like it. I can even keep it in my pocket.

The CYCLOPS is sold under several names. The least expensive I found was on eBAY.

Thanks for the recommendation post DEXMAN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back