Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nic Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

smicro

MIS
Dec 26, 2002
US
Veritas 6.5.1 Master Server AIX5.3 Scalar I2000 mix environment windows,unix,linux clients, etc. Have about 2000 clients. On some of our clients we are seeing status 40(network connection broken) mostly occuring on aix clients (DB2 and Informix backups) and Windows SQL backups. Not occuring on very many(about 10 total) mostly the same ones it happening to. Havet been able to find much info on this error code but one thing I was wondering. Our master server nic card is set to auto/auto. I've been reading this should be set to fixed. Has anyone had any issues regarding that. Could that cause status 40? Thanks,

as far as nics go you need to match the switch settings
If your switch is auto then your nic should be also

I have not had many ec 40's but some 41's

Have you adjusted any client read timeouts in the client setting from the gui?

Any perfmon/netmon results showing bandwidth issues?

I know SQL can be tempermental when it comes to wait times and if some of your other 2000 servers are munching the pipe.....

Let us know

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, yes set to auto on switch and nic. Also adjusted client settings as well. Notice occuring only on sql and db2 backups. Wondering if it could be the network. We have no backup network in our environment not sure if this would matter.

It might be if they are doing batch processing
Otherwise I would get some perfmon data from the servers and see what is happening on the box during backup times

Thanks,

I know for sure that batch processing is going on at the times that these backups are running. Also noticed that if we rerun these same jobs during the daytime we don't get the stauts 40s. Only at night seems to correlate with the batch processing etc. I'll take a look at perfmon and ganglia to see if we can pinpoint anything from that end. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back