Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC not recognized Ghost 9.0 when restore 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

basement131

Technical User
Feb 23, 2004
CA
I am unsing the Norton Ghost recovery disk to restore my hard drive. At one point I backed up an image onto the network drive and now i would like to restore. Problem is that when i go to run the symantec recovery disc i get the error,
"Failed to install network adapter -- check winbom"

searched the net with little information available. - read something about the NIC not being recognized, but i do not understand what that is to mean.

i am limited in my understanding on how to do things regarding networks, but am looking for any info.

i am using winXP, SP2, with net framework2.

this disk does work as it workes on my other cpu.

i have a MSI 945P motherboard which has onboard NIC, which is a realtec

any info would be appreciated

Your help & assistance today will be passed on to others tomorrow.

Danged gremlins been gnawing at my TCP stack again.....

..once again the tcp stack error. Did you in addition to the restore update your W. security patches. It seems there is a rogue patch which prevents the modem or connection software from recognizing TCP binding, at least to Lynksis NIC's. I have just come out of a 13 hour repair and support team mutual abuse marathon dealing with just this question.

Here my solutions in order of annoyance. The easier the solution, the less likely it is to work.

1) Make sure that you have tcp/ip protocol for your nic. Click on the connection in contron panel>network whatever - right on connection and choose properties. If tcp/ip is not listed add the protocol. It is probably present and bound but can't be recognized. (reboot)

2) If you can find it in device manager, uninstall your NIC card and reboot with firmware CD in drive, or download latest driver from another computer (I assume you can't connect from that machine). This probably won't work, but it's by far the easiest solution. (Go to Control Panel>system>device manager>hardware and click on adapters..right click, choose uninstall, reboot. If it doesn't install automatically go to add/remove hardware and work from there)

3)If you have XP, you can first try to reset your winsock file. (Look it up in help). It's worth a try. OR: If you have 2k and access to the Internet, you can try using winfix.exe downloadable at This probably won't work, but it's easier than the following. DO back up the registry first. I've never needed the backup, but that's only because I have always done it.

NOW things get ugly. Not dangerous ugly, just annoying and I'd rather be at the beach or cleaning the toilet ugly.

4) Restore Windows from the CD. Boot from the CD and choose the repair option. This messes a lot of stuff, and you will have no security patches left, which means you can update all over again, but your programs will continue to function and you will retain your service packs.
After restoring Windows you will have to reinstall Windows Installer and IE 6. See the thread below for more infomation. While this is time consuming, it's probably the fastest way to get to sanity.
for some of the things you will need to do (and what I think are some good suggestions).

5) NIC's are cheap and easy to install. I suggest not a Lynksis - great NIC, but the cards which don't work with updates seem to be Lynkis (great support, too, but if they don't work...).

This is not a direct answer to your problem, but it will probably allow you to restore your system.

I normally just put the drive image on an external USB drive and Ghost seems to have no trouble finding the drive and restoring from there.

SOLVED

I simply installed an old NIC card i had laying around and i was able to access the file.
Unfortunately, something was wrong with the image, as it only restored to 40% before the system rebooted. However, the image was not completly corrected which resulted in me having to reinstall everything all over again (10-12 hours.
To solve this problem in the future i think i will try Acronis True Image 10 (just released) and see if that program works better.

ALSO - JimInKS method of utilizing a USB drive also worked but in my case the image must have been corrupted. (it was the same image that was on the network drive).

Your help & assistance today will be passed on to others tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back