Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC Icon - Network Cable Unplugged ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintJames

Programmer
Jun 5, 2002
CA
What would cause the the NIC status to jump back and forth from "Connected" to "Network Cable Unplugged"? I'm running Windows 2000 server on Dell Poweredge 1600sc with Intel 1000 MT, all service packs and security patchs have been applied. Updated my drivers to the latest available from INTEL. Updated BIOS also. Ran tests from Driver Utility. Cable is ok, hardware apparently is ok, I get in the event viewer Event viewer:network connection link has been disconnected. Ran Dial Diagnostic Tool, did not find any errors.

Thanks.

Sounds odd, is the NIC set to auto-detect speed of connection or have you set it to be what you want (e.g. 100Mbps full duplex)? You should set in manually really in case there are problems with the NIC negotiating speed with the switch, although I don't think a dropping/reconnecting link would be the result.
Probably also worth doing a packet capture to see if anything odd is transmitted/received when the connection drops.

Could be a faulty switch, or cable, a faulty card, or as suggested above, misaligned speed and duplex on the network card and switch.

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back