Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC driver won't install

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTuser2

MIS
Jul 29, 2004
GB
I have an NT 4 workstation (sp6) which has been ghosted from an image. the image didn't have the right driver for the NIC so I've downloaded it from the HP website, burnt it to disk and tried to "update" the driver. Problem is, that the driver never fully updates and it's doing my head in. I click update >> local of oemsetup.inf >> OK and it starts to install. But then it should go onto configuring TCP/IP and whether you want to enable DHCP but it doesn't, it just stops, I click close and it ro-does the bindings and reboots, then when I reboot I'm back to the same problem of getting the "at least one driver/service failed to start". This really is doing my head in, can somebody please help me out here. The local of the dirver files is:

- obviously I've unpacked the SP21494 file and that's the location of the oemsetup.inf file

again, please, can anbybody help at all?

Maybe any trace of the uncomplete installation must be removed before starting a new install (?)

Have you tried removing the current (incorrect) NIC driver first - then install the new one - rather than trying to update it?

Remember to reapply latest service pack afterwards.

yeah, I tried removing the old one first but when I tried re-adding it I got an error message saying no supported drivers were found in the system, try inserting the card in a different PCI slot and try again. is this trying to tell me it's the wrong driver 'cos I know it's the correct one. please, can anybody help me at all?

try this:

1.uninstall the nic drivers from the device managers if htere are any

2. switch off computer and take out the card from the pci slot

3. reboot the computer normally;

4. switch and replace put back the card and retry to install the drivers

hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back