Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nic Card Drivers need reinstall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youlanda

Technical User
Oct 19, 2002
US
Yesterday I attempted to log onto the internet... whoop... it didn't work.

After a while of futzing, turning the box off, leaving it off for an hour, and all that stuff they have you do before getting technical support, then I called my ISP's technical supoprt.

After doing a bunch of things (recreating the network connection, hard coding an ip in the tcp/ip, etc) he had me go into Dos's command prompt and type: Route print

What I got was two netwrok destinations with a "metric" value of one. So he told me there should always be "five or six" so my "nic card drivers" needed to be reinstalled.

I restarted, and then... after messing some more, I got five or six network destinations in the "metric" colum.

Some of them said "1" some of them said "30" and he said the problem couldn't be solved by him, I would have to reinstall the drivers for my ethernet card. Too lazy to hunt down the CD... I went to bed.

I connected just fine today.

My question is... Was it really my ethernet card? Or was the technical support guy just trying to cover the inability of my isp?

It was Gremlins ;) ~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

I've found that these problems are usually caused by your ISP's server problems. They can be transient problems that the ISP will never admit to. If you keep trying and then, like magic, it starts working, it was probably an ISP problem. I had the same problem yesterday with my cable ISP. I waited awhile and it started working again. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [idea]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back