Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NFS with Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2001
US
Greetings,
I have Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 installed on Windows Server 2003 standard as a NFS server so my HP UX system can write data/files directly to the NFS share on my Windows environment. I have it setup so that when my HP UX UNIX application creates a file with data (small like 7k) it gets created on my Windows NFS however it takes up to 20 seconds to do so, I see a 0K file for up to 20 seconds then it completes, seems long and slow. Is there any performance tuning available to improve this? It almost appears to be transferring the file asynchronously or something. The network connection between the systems is strong, 1000mbs HP switch (both on the same switch).
Thanks!

I have a similar problem. Also have SFU 3.5 on WS2003 Std for SAP on an HP-UX system to write files into the NFS share. Our SAP guy is reporting approx 20 second delays between SAP finishing and the file showing right in Windows. I did some basic tests using prealloc to create files of specific sizes and timed them - a 10 MB file only took about 5-18 sec to write, but did show up in Windows before it was complete. I have the same question about writing in async or sync mode. The Windows app is trying to access the file before it's finished writing. Is this a file lock issue? There are some Windows hotfixes for SFU that address file locks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back