Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NFS Server User and Group Mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

apeasecpc

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2002
US
We had a working NFS share under Server 2003 that was mounted on an IBM AIX server. The share was set up to use "passwd" and "group" files with key Server 2003 users and groups cross mapped to users and groups listed in the "passwd" and "group" files.

After upgrading to Server 2012 we are attempting to recreate this NFS share and it is not working. I am having trouble finding information on how to map the Windows users to the UNIX users in the Server 2012 NFS settings.

Does anyone out there have a working Server 2012 NFS share so they can give me some tips? I am looking for specifics on mapping Windows Server 2012 users to UNIX users.

I found a solution to my problem:

1) Microsoft moved the NFS user mapping into active directory Advanced Features. I was able to add uid, uidNumber and gidNumber values for each user in the Attribute Editor tab for each user.

2) The passwd and group files on the Windows 2012 server take precedence over what is in active directory, so I had to remove these files to get it to work.

3) I also made sure each of the users and groups I had modified with active directory had NTFS permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back