Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NFS permissions problem when creating new directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

swankgd

Programmer
May 4, 2012
US
I have a Windows 2008 machine configured as an NFS server, sharing a directory on a drive. I have every possible set of permissions I can think of set to full control (this is a closed test environment, not too worried about security). I have root access enabled. I'm able to mount the share from a client (RHEL 6.2 on a PPC platform). And I can create a directory on the share and write to/read from the directory. But that directory does not inherit permissions from the parent, and any attempt to access it from other clients fails.

I've compared it to another NFS server on the same network that isn't acting like this and can't figure out the difference. The only difference in the setup is that on the one that is working, the share is at the root drive (i.e., I'm sharing the E: drive), where as on the one that isn't working, I'm sharing a subdirectory ("G:\share"). Otherwise, as far as i can tell they are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back