Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NFS not starting on reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoheap

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2003
GB
After a system reboot, the nfsd daemon is not started.
It gives the error message "There is not enough buffer space for requested socket operation"

If I re-run the /etc/rc.nfs, then nfsd is then started and everything is ok.

This problem has only occured since I upgraded to AIX5.2 ML2.

Now in the /etc/rc.nfs we have some maually set nfso paramters.

/usr/sbin/nfso -o nfs_socketsize=130000
/usr/sbin/nfso -o nfs_tcp_socketsize=130000
/usr/sbin/nfso -o nfs_1323=1

These are set after the nfsd has already been attempted to be run. ie
start nfsd /usr/sbin/nfsd 8

The strange thing is that, the only paramters that we change are now lowering the default value of 600000 to 130000. Surely this cant be problem?

I understand that in 5.2 that the setting of nfso paramters has now changed so that you don't have to hard code them. Is is something to do with this?

Has anyone any ideas?
Thanks

I have managed to fix the problem.

By moving the setting of nfso parameters to before the line that starts nfsd means that nfs now starts ok.

This seems obvious I suppose, but if I remove the settings completely, NFS does not start at all, therefore these extra settings are vital for the system to start.

I am a little concerned because if I did'nt have these extra nfso settings, NFS would not start at all. Remember that this worked perfectly well on AIX43 and that the move to AIX52 has changed the way nfso are handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back