Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NFS Mount - I think....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIS

Technical User
Jun 1, 2001
NL
Hallo All,

I have a solaris box running a workforce management program (Totalview). This is linked to a database which gets backed up nightly. The database is growing and growing. Currently, the backup file is written to /path/to/backup.z . It currently takes up 98% of that partition, and I fear I will run into problems.
What I would like to do is have the Solaris box write this on another machine - sort of like a symbolic link where the backup gets written to a windows box instead of on the Solaris machine. I have been told to use NFS mount but this is really all I know at the moment.
Does anybody have a good idea, link, or other resource on how to accomplish this? Any ideas, comments much appreciated.

if you have the $, you could always tape/cd backup. if not, just stick with the nfs mount.

Thanks for your reply. I am relatively new on Unix - is it at all possible to make such a share? I need the unix partition /some/path to be on a windows machine, like 10.2.0.10/temp/backup - how would I go about doing this?

Hello,

A nfs server software for windows can help you. This way you´ll be able to mount a windows disk space on a Solaris machine like other Unix NFS shares.

Try the followinf search with the google:

nfs server for windows

You'll get a lot of results. Maybe one of them is free. Good luck!

jmiturbe

Samba is one of the best ways to use a UNIX partitian in a Win machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back