Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NFS Backup problem under Sco 5.0.5 to a Netapp box

Status
Not open for further replies.

lollypopsy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2006
US
We are having some problems creating a backup of a SCO box we have over NFS. IT is running sco 5.0.5 and we are backing up over an NFS mount to a netapp box(NAS).

We have used cpio, tar, pax,dd but we found out that not all the files get copied to the NAS box over NFS.

What could be responsible for this?

What commands exactly have you used?

What files are missing? Are the missing ones all from the same filesystem(s)?

Does the backup fail at some point or does it appear to complete successfully? Are any error messages produced at all?

Annihilannic.

$[staren isha]/>cp -R -p -f /dataold/* /ddvol

This is using the cp command. The mount point for the netapp is /ddvol.

using tar
tar xvf /dev/rct0

This is to restore the tape content to the netapp mount point on the server /ddvol

using pax
cd /dataold
pax -rw . /ddvol

This is to copy the content of the /dataold to the netapp mount point /ddvol.

The missing files are files needed to run an application and it is database(isha).

The backup appears completed successfully. No error produced.

It's not very clear what you are trying to do? Why are you trying to restore from a tape if the backup you are trying to create is on the NetApp NAS filer?

Where are you trying to restore the files to? Another server?

Note that your cp command will not copy any .hidden files in the /dataold directory.

If I was going to back up to the NAS filer I would probably use:

[tt]cd /dataold ; find . | cpio -ocvB -O /ddvol/dataold_backup.cpio[/tt]

To restore it to /dataold and overwrite the existing contents I would use:

[tt]cd /dataold ; cpio -idcvumB -I /ddvol/dataold_backup.cpio[/tt]

Annihilannic.

Thanks a lot. I will try it out.

Really, i want to backup the content of the /dataold on the local server(ibm netfinity) to the netapp filer(FAS 270C) /ddvol.

I guess i can modify the restore command as follows:

cd /data ; cpio -idcvumB -I /ddvol/dataold_backup.cpio

where /data is the mount point for a differnt volume. This will now be used for test purposes.

Hi,

The data am copying is more than 2gb. cpio, tar, rdist, dd has a limit of 2gb on sco unix 5.0.5 so it gives a

signal 31 -core dump

when it reaches 2gb.

Is there any utility that can be used to do nfs back up of more than 2gb of data on sco unix 5.0.5?

Are you sure it's the utilities that have the 2GB limitation and not the filesystem that you have NFS mounted?

Why not create a multiple volume tar file?

How much data is it? Maybe if you compress it on-the-fly as well it will fit into 2GB, however this may not be ideal if the size of your data is increasing over time...

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back