Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

next portable computer? iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenohagen

Programmer
Mar 25, 2008
US
A freind of mine recently purchased an iPhone and let me use it for a while (he was trying to validate the large purchase on a phone). After using the iPhone for awhile I realized that it was pretty much a small computer. It had an adequate camera, web browser, email, and iPod. It got me thinking that what else could be put into such a small package? Will it ever replace a laptop for small everyday tasks? Has it already?

i dont have a desktop since i can do my programming on a laptop. I dont see a phone size device taking over that need but as for the internet the phones could be more than reasonable.

I see small devices being valuable in places where one typically doesn't have their laptop handy--such as looking up directions or a phone number in the car, killing time waiting for the dentist or other such circumstances. I wouldn't ever see myself using such a device in the office or at home when my PC or laptop computer is handy. The small devices just have too many drawbacks to allow one to be as productive as they are using a PC. Small keyboard, small screen, slow processing capabilities, and of course the battery issue.

i agree that they would use my laptop over the small device such as an iPhone. I was wondering what other features they could add to the small device. The iPhone/blackberry seems to do everything already. The only expansion I could imagine is with the browser. But then my imagination isnt as broad as others.

Well, it is definitely a computer. Most smartphones and even regular cell phones can provide similar capabilities (email, web browsing, etc). The biggest point is that it can handle mobile data services.

As far as it ever replacing full-sized computers or laptops, I wouldn't count on it. As good as the iPhone interface is, it's not a good interface for a PC. It works well for a phone that provides some limited PC functionality. The other problem where it suffers is the display. Most people won't tolerate such a small screen for general use.

For special use situations like getting your email, maps, etc on the go, then devices like the iPhone are great.

MCTS:Network Infrastructure
MCTS:Applications Infrastructure

If there was a way to double the screen size, fold out or slide up style, would be a great feature. I could also see phones adding some kind of more advanced gaming feature like the gameboy as technology gets better. RiverGuy has a good point about the battery life though.

Better than increasing the screen size would be a screen integrated with some sort of glasses. Even something 1" square would be huge if it was right in front of your eye. Something that projected a translucent image onto the lens of my glasses (or potentially into my eye) would be pretty interesting. You still have the issue of the keyboard interface, but there are already folding keyboards (remember back in the heyday of Palm Pilots?).

MCTS:Network Infrastructure
MCTS:Applications Infrastructure

I dont see voice recognition taking off anytime soon to take over the task of interface. keyboards are to much of a hassle to lug around also even those small fold out ones for the pilot. So I do agree with the virtual keyboard being a sound replacement. it took a little getting use to though.

the three things i carry around with me all the time are my wallet, keys, and phone. if there was a way to attach my wallet securely (even if stolen) to my phone then i could see them being integrated. I dont use money very often and havnet carried around any for a few weeks to be honest. The credit card is always accpeted.

What about a docking station for the iPhone? If you could drop it in a charging cradle that was connected to a full-sized monitor, keyboard, and mouse then I can see it as a reasonable desktop replacement for genaral home and light office work. The user would be limited to web-only apps, but that number is growing daily.

Perhaps a mobile docking station too, shaped like a laptop , but with a place to slide in/dock the iPhone?

While docked, maybe you would need a headset to take calls or have a speaker phone in the dock?

Monkeylizard
Sometimes just a few hours of trial and error debugging can save minutes of reading manuals.

Question is do you want aphone or PDA?

Pretty much what you said above is possible with a modern PDA.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I can definately see pda's and phone merging in the future. I havent seen a phone that is "just a phone" for a while. The phone market is definately trying to grow/go in all sorts of directions.
Monkeylizard has an interesting point though. Could, at some point, the mobile phone be the processing power for a laptop. As in you plug in your phone to a docking station shaped laptop. The docking station could have some sort of hard drive that the phone could work off of and the apps would be web based. That would give options to the person that wants a bigger screen. You could mount the laptop docking station in your cars dash some where plug in your phone and there you go GPS, tv or whatever your needs.

You need one of those Japanese phones that can read barcodes and enter the details directly into your address book. Better than the iphone - data entry is just so quick. Just scan it and click and all the details are in your address book.

Some even have barcodes on gravestones. Just scan the barcode and it takes you to the webpage about the dead person.

>one of those Japanese phones that can read barcodes

Nokia's N95 can read barcodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back