Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

News ticker

Status
Not open for further replies.

petermeachem

Programmer
Aug 26, 2000
GB
My boss has requested some sort of news ticker like display on his screen so he can be kept up to date on sales figures.
I haven't a clue how to do this and as tek tip search is down can't find out either. The only stuff I have found out via google is things that show stock figures and the like.
Can someone point me in the right direction on this please?

Well first off you need a source for the data.
Where is it stored and what way is it stored?

Do you need this to run on a webpage or on a desktop?

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Desktop and the data is in sql server. It has occurred to me that I could write a little borderless vb programme that would sit at the top of the screen with an embedded Internet Explorer running some asp. I am sure there must be a better and prettier way.

Any reason you don't just do it as a simple VB app?

Steam Engine Prints

I don't have vb at work, just at home which is where work used to be. I can bodge up a bit of asp at work so it will make the inevitable changes easier to do.

I could write a little borderless vb programme that would sit at the top of the screen with an embedded Internet Explorer running some asp
How were you going to implement the above if you don't have access to VB at work? I agree with johnwm, if you're creating a VB wrapper with an embedded browser you might as well just interface directly with SQL Server using VB.

Failing that, do you have any other programming environments installed at work which you could use? Creating a program containing an embedded browser seems to me like an over-complication of a fairly simple problem.

Clive
Runner_1Revised.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." (Paul Ehrlich)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back