Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

News page help - HTML/CSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyphious

MIS
May 6, 2008
GB
Hi,

i'm an utter newbie at web design and i've started with a html/css combo site, i know enough to be able to add navigation and elements but there is one main thing i'm stuck on and thats doing a news page.

I know sites like slashdot autoarchive their old message so only something like the latest 15 news items are showing.
I was wondering if someone can help me setup a similar system or point me in the right direction and i don't have the foggiest!

I thought about doing it in HTML but it'd mean having loads of seperate HTML pages with the archived news

Thanks in advance

--If something's worth doing, its worth doing right - HST RIP--

It sounds like you really need to use a DB to store all your news articles, and then some sort of pagination or date-range in your query to only bring back the latest x number of articles.

Do you have such a setup with a DB and server-side scripting? Most hosting companies offer MySQL and PHP, so if yours does, I'd advise using that as a starting point.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back