Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newly built computer won't start 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MowermanED

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
First time builder here with big problems. After I assembled everything and double checked all connections and jumper settings, I flip the power switch at the power supply which causes the little green light to glow on the MB, then I push the power button and all fans spin for about 1 second and then stop. Pushing the power button then has no effect until I turn off the power switch to the power supply and turn it back on again. I was extremely careful not to drop any screws under the MB (I counted the standoff posts and the screws) so I doubt that could be the problem. I've checked and rechecked every connection. Any suggestions where to look.

Asus A7V8X-MX SE mother board
AMD Athlon XP 2400
Mushkin 512 Ram
Antec SL1650 Mini Tower w/350W PS

Had something like this happen...I was shorting on the motherboard.

This normally happens when you are grounding out to the case or some IO cards are touching each other or something like that. Sometimes a mounting post comes up in the wrong place or the motherboard just is not sitting just right or something like that. Sometimes the CPU fan is not plugged into the CPU fan header on the motherboard it will not start.

When you get to this point it is time to take it apart and start over. The less things that are connected the less things that can go wrong. Testing it outside of the case is an option. If you unplug all the drives and take out the PCI cards you can try it again to see if it works. Sometimes something metalic touches the bottom of the motherboard and shorts it out. Especially on cases with built-in motherboard mounts that are raised up.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I took the MB out'a the case and started all over again. After putting everything back together again it still does the same thing.

I've also seen this happen if you just catch 3 of the 4 power connector pins on the floppy power connector.

Just another thing to check.
Good luck.

AckNack

You have one of the cables for the hard drive turned around. Match up pin 1 with pin 1 etc.

Bobby J. Johnson

Did you try it out of the case? If not then take it out of the case and get it working there before reinstalling it.

Problem solved (I hope). Took MB out of case 3 or 4 times rechecking everything I could think of. Finally decided to take MB up to my friend who runs computer repair shop. After swallowing my pride I tell him what it's doing. He hooks it up to a new power supply on the bench and it posts. He says nothing's wrong and that I might have a bad power supply. I bring it home and remove power supply and hook it up and "bingo" that's my problem. I guess even Antec can build a dud every now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back