Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newby question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hocking

Technical User
Apr 21, 2002
US
Hi,

Currently I am a techie (A+, MCSE), working as a Network Administrator, and would like to write a program for myself, that will be running on my current HandHeld PC WinCE device, or possibly purchase a new PocketPC WinCE device. I am considering using Visual Basic 6.0 to complete this task, because I have done a little research on the net about this task, and Visual Basic keeps coming up. I have also read about the Microsoft Windows CE Toolkit for Visual Basic 6.0, which appears to be what I would need to port this to my WinCE device. In the past, back in the DOS days, I had written several simple programs to do some simple tasks I wanted to perform, and feel that along with my techie background, I can learn anything I that I need to, so that I can write this program. The program I wish to write will take the place of an Excel spreadsheet that I use to manage my diabetes. One sheet on the spreadsheet contains all my logs, which consist of my results from testing my blood sugars, recording the blood sugar results, the times that I tested, the times that I ate, and the times that I injected insulin, and the amount of insulin I injected. Another sheet acts as a database, and has all of the foods that I eat, with the stats that I need to calculate how much insulin I inject, such as the grams of protein and carbohydrate in each unit of the food item. Another sheet is a record of all of my meals that I have eaten, and then the total grams of protein and carbohydrate for that meal are totaled, and then transfered to another sheet that calculates how much insulin to inject to cover that particular meal. The spreadsheet took me months to write, and perfect, and works very well, but each spreadsheet has grown to over 1 MB, and running on the latest HP Jornada 728, Handheld PC 2000 OS isn't the fastest to navigate around in the spreadsheet, to enter the data. So with all this said, I need a reccomendation of what software to use to get started on this project to replace my spreadsheet, to make managing my diabetes a little easier. I would appreciate any reccomendations that you have as far as what language to use, what tools I need, and what reference books would be good to get started with. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Robert Hocking

The items you are describing should work well stored in a database. I find that way too many Excel power users use it for a database (which it was not really intended to handle). I am currently replacing some extremely complex worksheets with VB programs and Access or SQL Server databases. Access would probably work well for what you want to do (although I don't know how well it runs on a handheld device).

Anyway, I would recommend that you use VB, Access, and ADO to retrieve the data from the database. MSFlexGrid or some other grid would probably be helpful for viewing and updating the data.

Good luck. For all the wonderful tools out there, it still takes time and effort. BlackburnKL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back