Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newby Question: Best Data Source 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbarker

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
GB
Hope some one can help:
Have a customer who currently has an Access 97 database.
They want the system completely rewritten (not migrating in the old data) to link in with other Business Software and to allow Internet access to some areas of the data to extrnal customers.
The mdb is currently 32MB and holds about 3-4 years data.
The software is to be initially used by 30 users across 2 sites (one of the sites through terminal services).
They have expressed that they may wish to archive some of the data from time to time so I would not expect database size to exceed 50MB
I only have experience in VB6 and using ADO with Access 2000.
Does anyone have advice about what data backend to use. Would Access 2000 be up for the job? What other solutions may be appropriate (is there some 'cut-down' version of SQL server? I have not quoted my customer for a dedicated server\SQL server software).
Many thanks.

bobbarker,

There is a 'cut-down' version of SQL Server available called MSDE (Microsoft Data Engine). I thinks that is comes with the Enterprise version of VB6 (perhaps Proffesional as well). I believe that it will allow a database size if 1GB.

Try this link-

Regards,

Alan

One of the issues with Access is that it can really slow down with more than 5 concurrent users. So with 30 it may not be the best bet.

You can look into using MSDE (a scaled down SQL server). Here is a link to start with. Search MSDN for more.

Take Care,

zemp

"Show me someone with both feet on the ground and I will show you someone who can't put their pants on."

I tend also to think that SQL would be a sensible approach but beware - I believe MSDE (i.e. the restricted version) is 'optimised' for a relatively small number of concurrent connections (which does not necessarily equate to users) - about 5 I think. So running 30 users could well be pushing things a bit or you may have to be very careful about how you code the application.

It also takes a good chunk of disk space to install relative to an Access mdb.

I would look at MSDE, as it is (at least) as powerful (users & db size) as Jet4 (as used in Access). It has the advantage that if things expand you can upgrade to SQL very easily

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

I agree with everyone else about using MSDE.

But because I'm a curmudgeon - I'd like to suggest you also look at SQL Anywhere:
While they're pushing it as a "mobile database", it does quite well in a SMB (Small-to-Medium sized Business) environment.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

SQL. Access is nice for small offices (2 to 10 people), but when you move into 10+ users, when you're on a network, when you need to move data around, when you're expecting lots of data, and when security issues rise, SQL beats Access every time.

Using the ADO interface, too, is very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back