Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newby advice....

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotttom

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2002
US
I am a reasonably experienced access programmer, but have little to no experience with anything web related. I have a project that I need to develop a web interface for an existing Access front end with a MSSQL 2000 back end.

I'm considering Dreamweaver/Coldfusion because it looks the friendliest and people seem to love it, but the cost is prohibitive as my client is a non-profit. I'm a bit mystified with ASP and I'd like a visual editor like Dreamweaver sooooo..... What do people use for that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Scott

Macromedia (as do most companies) offers substantial discounts to genuine 501(c)3 non-profits. I'm sure as many people will agree as will disagree though that it is the "friendliest".

Personally I would stick with Front Page, since you're currently all Microsoft to this point and MS seems to work well with itself. FP also has an easier learning curve in my opinion, which not only comes from my own experience but also from the responses of students I tutor.

I am impressed with the new suite of Macromedia products now however, meaning anything from MX forward. They are considerably better on the visual (GUI) side than they were 5-10 years ago.

The only other advice I can offer is STAY WITH WHICHEVER PACKAGE YOU START WITH. The time involved in reworking an entire website while halfway through or more is much greater than starting again from scratch, and unlike with other visual website development tools you cannot effectively use one with the other.

Jim Schuuz
{ F1 = my.friend
}

thread333-1056724
thread333-856702

there are lot of other threads related to this topic...just do a search on this forum...

-DNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back