Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autobahn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2002
GB
Hi All,

I've been given free reign on a Windows 2000 network and would like to introduce Linux firstly as a file server. What do I need to make this happen? Will I be able to integrate it fully into the network? Which distribution will give me a good start in using Linux? Are there any other instances in the office environment where I could put it to use, even from a purely IT perspective?

Thanks in advance!

aUto

You just need to correctly configure Samba on the linux box. Just about any distribution would be fine for this. Redhat has a nice gui for this, but I'm not sure if it's good for doing anything non-basic. Also, almost all distributions come with (or it can be installed) SWAT, which I believe stands for Samba Web Administration Tool. This makes Samaba configuration very easy... granted I've never gone beyond using it for my workgroup on my home LAN.

-Venkman

Thanks Venkman. That sounds pretty straight-forward. I have a copy of Slackware that I'll probably use...

- aUto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back