Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 11, 2011
IN
Hi All,

I am a newbie to this forum ....i am working as a Technical Support providing first line support on Aspect , Nortel and Cisco Voice systems. Now i want to move into a Better Avenues by Specializing in any one technology and improving my chances of survival and good Paycheck . I wish to be an Expert on Nortel but People are advising against it calling Cisco Call manager as the Next Big thing the industry is migrating to...Can anyone please provide some career Advise..I have very little access to resources as i am tech support working remotely and cannot afford to buy any equipment here in India.

the more you learn the more money your worth.. you still need to know this platform for another 10 years, and avaya and cisco.. cisco is getting a bad rep around here as not reliable..

it is realiable, if you install it right and keep the data geeks from making changes and booting trash once a day..

i still have a rolm customer, they went out of business, seems kine 15 or 20 years ago.. only change is i charge more since they can not call rolm tech support any longer

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Don't discount being a subject matter expert in Nortel PBX's. 20 yr old systems are still around for a reason - because they are extremely reliable and they work very very well. But hey, the fewer Nortel PBX techs that are out there, the more valuable I become.

Cisco is great stuff - and if you know Cisco IOS for their switches and routers, the transition to their VoIP stuff isn't too difficult if you have a telephony background.

But as with any VoIP... your network goes down, so do your phones. Some environments cannot tolerate having all their eggs in one basket and it part of the reason why TDM systems are still prevalent in many critical infrastructure environments.

There is no question that any knowledge is power. But spending time learning a product that 1) has more removals than installations; and 2) has an abundance of unemployed experts... Well, that time could be spent far more wisely.

Look at - Put in key word Cisco and then key word Nortel. In my region, I see 143 Cisco results; and 11 Nortel results. If you were offered a class on either, which would you pick first.

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com
--

Oh I hear ya about more removals than installations. But have to look at it this way... once upon a time, someone with a MCSE certification from Microsoft was paid quite well. Nowadays, they're a dime a dozen and the starting salaries offered to these guys is a joke because of high unemployment and demand for jobs.

On the other hand, I know AS/400 programmers who are making a killing in spite of the small install base due to the fact that skillset is getting harder to find.

We have an opening in a small city for an on-site tech at a large account, but cannot find any local qualified Nortel techs to do the job. The only qualified applicants were from out of state and one person who we offered the job to had a checkered past which was a no-no for this particular customer.

Thanks guys....That was a great insight into voice technologies ....my organization has started to migrate from Nortel to Cisco and will not invest a dime on Nortel products (even planning to remove the Nortel Passports from our Network ) but it might take another 2-3 yrs as we are spread across the globe and to complete the migration it will take some time and until that i have to provide support on Nortel....well i have started working on my Voice Certifications of Cisco... nevertheless more i learn technology the more i earn....hoping for the best.....

Pardon my grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back