Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Windows VPN Setup Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stech1

MIS
Oct 16, 2003
US
We have a client who has a small Win 2000 network. He wants to access the network from home using Terminal Services.

Is it possible To use terminal services to access the network without setting up a VPN?

All of the microsoft literature on deploying a vpn has both a vpn server and a domain controller. Is it possible to make the PDC also be the VPN? Is there any documentation on the internet or a good reference manual that contains this info?

TIA

If you add another nic to your DC to deal with the incoming traffic and enable Routing and remote access this will allow it to receive VPN connections and then you could then teminal service on.

I would use a vpn on a second nic for security reasons. I assume you dont want everyone to see what you are doing.

It is possible to have your PDC as the VPN server. One of the other reason i would suggest using a VPN is to make your whole system more secure. In terms of User Autentication and user access. If you run a terminal service over the internet with no encryption the user name and password travels from the user to the server in plain view. With the VPN the initial athentication to the network will be done with the VPN. Instead of using a form of port forwarding for Terminal service, as port forwarding for TS will make it easy to connect to your server with any TSC (Terminal Server Client).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back