Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie: what do I need to run reports off the asp.net server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loekje

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2001
NL
Hi,

I'm sorry to stumble into a techies forum. But I need some advice as the BusinessObjects site can't make it clear to me. I have 3 questions (down below).

Our setup: A MS-SQL server (v7) on a Windows 2000 server with IIS 5 and an ASP.NET webapplication.

Within the webapplication it is a hassle to make some basic reports, and the layout is not good enough.
So we think using Crystal reports would be the good thing to do (tm).

Now the composing of the reports will be done by a user who will be educated to do so. But the reports must be made available to off-site users.
The ideal situation would be that remote users (about 5 to 10) could run the report on the server and the results would be shown through the web server.
It would suffice if the output of the report ends up in PDF format and users would click on a generated link to that pdf. (an inline html output is merely considered a bonus).

Question 1: What do we need to accomplish that? Plain Crystal report 10 professional?

Question 2: How does Crystal Reports handle license counts? Together with CR10-prof goes a 5 named-user license of Crystal Enterprise Express (do we *need* this). On the webserver the application runs under a single user account..

Question 3: Our ASP.NET developer is fresh on Crystal Reports. Can a kind soul point us to some resources on the net, where we can find code samples of this kind of integration (preferably explained :)

TIA
Loek Gijben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back