Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie What do I need to make a VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginka

Programmer
Mar 18, 2005
MX
I want to make a VPN, but first I want to know what do I need?

Like what kind a IP address, software, hardware etc?

Or please tell me where can I find some tutorials.

you can use XP as a VPN host or you can have a VPN router. this page may help,

How to setup windows network, internet sharing, remote access and VPNHow to Setup Network, Internet Sharing, Remote Access and VPN Step by Step Guide Phone, E-mail, Remote Access and In Site Services Are Available ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

There are diffrent types of VPNs, I would google VPN and start reading.

Good luck.

Tom Werner, CCIE, CISSP, Network+, Security+

wut's the deal with IP VPN..why would customers migrate their application from normal leased line to IPVPN network ?

Hi Ginka

Let start from beginning and step by step
===========================================================
VPN: Virtual private network
IP : Internet Protocol(Two Types of IP Private IP and Public IP)
===========================================================
1. If you have two computers in your home and connected to internet then follow these steps.

2. Goto PC1 click on start button, click on run, type cmd, black window will open in that window type ipconfig note down the IP ADDRESS OF PC1

3. Now Goto PC2 click on start button, click on run, type cmd, black window will open in that window type ipconfig note down the IP ADDRESS OF PC2
============================================================
TIME TO SETUP VPN IN INSIDE NETWORK
Now download the vnc software from the below links

Once you downloaded unzip the files on both PC1 and PC2. Please note you have to have winzip software to unzip the files.

Once its unzipped the folder you will see following exe files [winvnc and vncviewer].

So first click on winvnc.exe it will ask you to enter the password enter any password. Apply this to PC1 and PC2.

Now goto PC1 click on vncviewer it wil ask you to enter the IP address, now enter the IP address of PC2(For IP address follow my above instructions step 3)

Once you enter the IP address of PC2 an small window will popup ask you for the password enter the same password whatsoever you input in winvnc then click ok.

Once you click ok you will see the PC2 screen on PC1 and now you have full control on PC2 from PC1.

So please complete the above task and let us know we will be pleased to help you.
Please note: This is just the basic VPN atleast this will explain you the concept of Virtual private network.

Once you understand this scenario you can further create VPN tunnels between countries to countries in this forum so many VPN gurus are sitting for advance VPN setup.

Hope you understand all the above task.

Hi Kam72,

I to have been trying to setup a simple VPN tunnel... the information you have presented has been very helpful to me.

Just wanted to thank you

Nytro

Kam72, that is some good information, but I really don't think that is a VPN solution. It's more of a Remote Desktop solution. The difference is, when you VPN, you connect to network resources. When you use VNC, you are connecting to a specific PC.

I looked at some of the articles in msworld's post and they are very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back