Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie wants a dialin server

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmic

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
CA
Ok, i'm a microsoft guy and trying to hack thru this linux stuff. I posted about this already but couldn't find my post so here we go again...

So far i'm very impressed with the installation and use of red hat, lindows and mandrake, but having a time with the console commands... I still have the 3 systems running so pick a flavor that you recommend and try to offer suggestions.

I'm trying to set up a standalone server that will be in a very remote location and I need to be able to dial into the box and get remote desktop. I have the software installed (I think properly) but I can't get it to work...

Does anyone have any recommendations for software and versions for a getty software and remote desktop (vnc or similar) with "complete step by step instructions for the newbie"? Most of the software i've tried assumes you're not a newbie and i'm having a hard time with the console commands and syntax's.

Treat me with kid gloves ;)

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

well, we would need to know which software you installed...

...and then, we need to know if the modem is connected to it, if the modem works... if you actually tried to dialup to some ISP somewhere with it on the linux boxen.

Someone else is probably going to have to help you with this, since i have never prepared a dialin server yet ( someone else does all the stuff here at work ) .

more information? no problem...

k, currently, I have both red hat 7.2 server and lindows 3.0 workstation set up, both have modems that work, have dialed up to the internet on both. Not an issue.

Been trying mgetty but have no idea how to configure it. I think there is a getty software packaged with red hat and vnc server comes packaged as well... Nothing on lindows. I'm more geared to use the red hat server.

karmic, check the manual on that nifty piece of dialin software you installed. they will tell you either how to configure it, or tell you to check the manual on the configuration fiel for more details.

the manual that comes with it assumes the user knows something about linux. I don't know much about linux and how to set things up via the console.

Any software out there with a gui? little easier to work with?

You will find that a lot of things on the linux side of things are configured via text files my friend. Less of a drain on the ressources, more simple to modify, parse and do checks against, console is the religion of the unix gurus.

I cant really help you with lindows, because i have never touched it, and i seriously don't know how much they messed it up so everything is easy to do with a mouse and all, but under linux, most of the times you will have to dig in, and get in there with your editor to fiddle the configs on any and all applications. It's what drew me to it initially : the lure of the command line.

In other words, it ain't Kansas anymore.

May i suggest searching freshmeat.net for another software package with a gui? A warning thought: I don't think a dialin server is something most people would mess with, since most uses for it are getting antiquitated by a net connection with telnet/ssh solution.

Oh, and vpn ain't secure.
Good luck mate.
--Dave.

grr... * goes to get coffee*
I mean VNC ain't secure...

*goes back to reading a pix manual*

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I have a free full featured evaluation copy of NetOp Remote Control from CrossTec Corp. It's a PcAnywhere replacement that has both Windows and Linux compatability. If you're dialing directly and security is still an issue it claims to do encrytion and appears to have the dial back feature. I'm a big PcAnywhere fan but ran into unsolvable performance problems when WinXP was used as the host.

I have 30 days left to try it, but it's free from CrossTec. They have a web site.

If it works I'll let you know.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back