Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie - USB PC to PC GeneLink file transfer problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

austim

Technical User
Jul 17, 2001
AU
Hi, all.

I am a complete newbie trying to set up a small 'network' (ie connect my laptop (Win 98) to my desktop (Win 2K) via the USB ports.

Doing my best to understand what my desktop motherboard documentation tells me (amplified by a visit to the Genesys Logic website for the latest software), I have installed Genelink PC to PC drivers and the File Transfer application on both machines. As I read the vital signs, both machines seem to be doing their very best to talk to each other, but they don't quite achieve any intelligent conversation.

What I observe is this:

With the USB/USB cable (supplied with my motherboard) installed as per the instructions, and the Genelink application started on the desktop, there is no sign of any action (not too surprisingly, of course). At this stage the little icon in my taskbar shows the local area connection cable to be 'disconnected'.

When I start up Genelink File Transfer on my laptop, both Genelink screens show a message "Browsing remote's data directory...". I see that as clear evidence that I am getting very close. However, the taskbar icon continues to show that the local area connection cable is unconnected during this attempt at reading the remote directories.

All drives and partitions on both machines have been set as shared; for preliminary testing a few folders in each C: drive have been set as shared (I will go through the exercise of sharing every folder once I can see anything in the remote directories).

I would welcome any useful suggestion as to what is causing my problems, and how to progress from here.

TIA.

Sounds like your getting Cable Disconnected because the USB is not being looked at, instead the connection is looking at NIC cards (which probably do not have a cable connected).
Is there something more in the documentation about setting up the connection when its USB to USB and not USB to NIC?

I'm sure there are others here who could help you out in a NY minute, but I'm afraid that's about all I've got. ...maybe after a cup of joe my brain will engage Scratch that - it's all smoke and mirrors.

HDL1, Many thanks for your response.

I have now found the solution, which was staring me in the face if only I had read the downloaded user guide in detail. (yes, yes - RTFMProperly.)

I now know that a small signal button at the left of the tool bar tells me the state of the connection. Green for go, Amber for 'OK at my end', Red for 'No connection here'. My desktop showed amber, my laptop showed red. After removing the cable to the laptop (and jiggling it a bit while replacing it) I got green for go at both ends, and seconds later both remote data directories were on display.

I'm just glad its working. And hey, the fix didn't cost anything! :) Scratch that - it's all smoke and mirrors.

HDL1,

Perhaps Life wasn't meant to be that easy. :)

Since installing (and uninstalling) the GeneLink File Transfer software on two laptops, the 'Standby' mode for power conservation has become non-functional on both. (One Compaq, one Sony). I now view Genelink less favourably, and am coming round to agreeing with my Knowledgable Son that I should have installed a network card in my desktop from the beginning. The time I saved with USB transfer has been more than fully used in reinstalling Windows on both laptops!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back