Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie - upgrading domain to W2K w/EX 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckeek

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2003
US
I know it's a newbie question but here goes: We are running an Ex5.5 box on an NT4 domain - 65 users total, a few different servers. I am planning on updating the domain to W2K, but leaving the Ex box as is, for the time being. Will get new Ex2000 server going eventually, but not now. Planning on updating the domain by doing the "update the PDC from NT to 2K" technique. That way I preserve my domain name and stuff. I will be in mixed mode for at least a year or so.

My Ex5.5 was set up (by someone else) back when my company was owned by another company, so the Organization and Site have remained as they set them up. The domain name, however, is the new company name (this has always been the case) - this is reflected in the "Primary Windows NT account" box for each of the recipients. In other words, my domain is and has always been named "newcompany", whereas the Ex 5.5 org and site are still "oldcompany" and "old site".

This has not posed a problem, but will it when I update my domain? Should I (or could I) attempt to change the Org/Site for my Ex5.5 prior to my domain upgrade? Will this pose a problem later on when I try to add an Ex 2000 server to replace my existing one? I think forestprep sees the site and adds the new server to that site. Actually I can live with the site name as-is but the org name should be changed somewhere on down the line.

Another simple question: Do I need to deploy ADC at this time? Will my Ex box run OK without it after I update my domain? Will my users still be able to access the Ex server without it? I have read 316886 and lots of other MS technet articles and am confused.

TIA everyone! I'll probably have more newbie questions as time goes on.

- Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back