Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie to C++ Database recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

poporacer

Programmer
Oct 2, 2007
US
I am proficient at VB and VBA and database programming, however I need to write a program in Visual C++ 6.0 that will be used on both windows and linux machines. I have QT builder for the forms. I have searched for info on this without much luck. The program will need to read and write to a database. I have a couple of questions:

1) any recomendations on the database to use (I am very familiar with Access but am open to others) If something is recomended, are there any additional software/libraries I will need/distribute with my code and where to get them?

2) any FAQ's, tutorials, etc on the code references for database programming in C++ 6.0. ie, connection strings, DAO, DAO. I will be doing somewhat simple linking of the tables (trying to keep the table normalized)and reading and writing the data to the fields.

1. Forget VC++ 6.0 now! Use Visual Studio 2008 or (may be)Code::Blocks IDE (with MinGW compiler on Windows). As far as I know Qt is integrated with VS 2003+.
2. Forget DAO (nevermore!): you need cross-platform application - no this obsolete MS Jet stuff on Linux.
3. Try MySQL DBMS. It has C/C++ cross-platform interfaces. There are lots of docs about MySQL programming in INET: Google is your friend...

Is this a disk based app or memory based app. If it is memory based, you could try sqlite. If you really want to stick to VS6, it will work on VS6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back