Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Switch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnymc

Technical User
Aug 28, 2002
US
I have a small statically IP'ed network (192.168.1.?) for my radiology department. The rest of the building is on a different network (main) (172.16.60.?) and uses DHCP. I have a router which connects my main network with a hospital several miles away through a T1. I need to send data from my radiology department to the hospital now and I didn't know if i could just connect the two internal networks with a switch or would I need to install a router between the two different networks. I have no problem connecting to the hospital from my main network. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

You will need a router or a layer 3-enabled switch to move packets between the subnets. If you go with an external router, it's best to go with a switch that supports VLANs so you can trunk between the router and the switch. Otherwise you will need a separate connection between the router and the switch for each network that you want traffic routable.

The switch for the 192.168.1.x network will need to be part of the vlan where the 172.16.60.x network resides
The switch that has 172.16.60.x network will contain layer3 routing. This will enable 192.168.1.x network to route to the other segment on the other side of the T1 router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back