Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie: Sharepoint - Creating a manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

mph2000

IS-IT--Management
Nov 24, 2006
GB
We are running SBS 2003 with WSS 3.0 and Sharepoint Designer 2007

I am trying to create our office manual in sharepoint. I have a list of roles set-up (Called Table of Roles) which has 2 columns "Area of Responsibility" and "Person Responsible". I want be able to set-up some pages that will incorporate some text and within the text have a field that links back to the table,this way if the person changes I only have to update the table of roles and the rest of the manual should update itself.
For example say I have a role of H&S Manager and the person responsible is "Fred Bloggs" the page relating to H&S would state something like:"All health and safety matters should be referred to Fred Bloggs who is the person responsible" Is what I want possible in sharepoint? If so how? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I have attached a word file that hopefully gives some indication of what I am trying to achieve with sharepoint.

Thanks

great question.

To sum it up, you want field(s) on the page to be dynamic and query your list of a given value.

"All health and safety matters should be referred to Fred Bloggs who is the person responsible"

So, if Fred was to move and Jane was to replace him, you would update the list, then the page would show:

"All health and safety matters should be referred to Jane Doe who is the person responsible"

ehaze
Yes, that is exactly what I want to be able to do.

Hi ehaze
Sorry for the delay, been off ill. Anyway have you been able to make any progress?

Cheers

If for example "person in charge" ( Role) is a property in the word document that is represented in a column in a sharepoint library, there should be no problem at all.
In Word, you Insert Field (quick parts/field if you use Word 2010)_Document Information->select the "person in charge" property.

Whenever you change this property in the "person in charge" column of the library, it updates the document property and thus the inserted field in the text.

Thank you for your assistance, But is it possible to do this without using word. Our current manual is a word document which is very large. I was hoping I would be able to segment it into "web pages" so it was easier to navigate, rather than having to load the whole document?

Also do you know how to get around the datasheet view error, I have several pc that run MS office Basic which display this error?

First of all, the datasheet display depends on Microsoft Access, which is not part of Office Basic.

Now regarding the manual that you want to write outside Word. It all depends how and in which format you want to publish it. Are you familiar with HTML/CSS and java script? Are you planning to create PHP or HTML pages for that? An embeded reference to a value in a list inserted dynamically into a page can be more tricky than doing that with word. :)

I have to give that some more thought. I'll come back to you as soon as I find an interesting solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back