Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie SCOM config advice on targetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

umbletech

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2006
Hi All
Worked a bit with mom 2005 struggling with the transition. What I need to do is monitor an IIS hosted webapp (called CARS) on a farm of windows 2003 blades. My group monitors the platform - i.e. hw, os, iis. Another applications group has to be given access to monitor the app. But for testing I'll give them some of the platform alerts just to show some progress.

I wanted to start with basic alerts and then get into reporting and baselining. Now I've read the concepts guide and looked through most of the videos at but I'm missing the point. So far what I've done is:

- create a group of computers
- create a test rule that collects current iis connections and disabled it
- used the override on the rule to enable it for that group
- create a management pack called CARS Servers to hold all this custom stuff.

Now I could do the same for monitors and build it up that way. But what I really want is to use the IIS and windows 2003 management packs but not mess up my existing ones.

Now under authoring I can copy management packs - say call them CARS IIS and CARS OS. But how do disable all the rules and monitors in my copied ones and then set an override to enable them for the CARS servers.

From here:

"best practices would dictate that you create the monitor, DISABLED by
default, with a target of the most specific object type (class) possible.
Then, use an Override to ENABLE the monitor for the group. "

But this is for custom stuff. I want to re-use the existing management packs not roll my own. I'm surprised I can't find an answer to this common scenario. Can anybody help with some reading?

I don't quite understand what it is you're trying to do...

Sounds like you want some of the monitoring from sealed Management Packs from the MS catalog...but, you want to bring the MP's in completely disabled and granularly enabled each monitor/rule on a one-to-one basis for a partcular group?

What is your end goal?

Regards,

Jonathan Almquist

Short answer was I wanted to setup alerts by role based group. In MOM2005 I would have created a management pack called CARS SQL, CARS IIS etc.

I figured out eventually best to keep the management packs organised by server role and make up server groups and views. Then gave permissions to the view.

End result a CARS admin can login and get a simplified console that just shows their systems and alerts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back