Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie request: Beginners guide to NAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcotral

Technical User
Oct 13, 2003
GB
I'm looking for useful starting points into understanding the world of NAT.

Specifically, I want to be able to make connections to machines across routers and the net. I currently have two routers in my home setup, connected to the world via ADSL. I want to be able to access all machines on my network from outside, and to be able to use machines on my network to access machines on similar networks at the end of other DSL connections.

As I understand things, NAT is of relevance as I probably have to configure my routers to allow the kinds of communication I talk about inthe preceding paragraph.

I'm a seasoned computer programmer but a novice when it comes to the technicalities of networking, which is a very frustrating position to be in, as I'm sure you all know.

I'd be grateful for any help in understanding what sort of questions I should be asking, and in how to go and get the answers to those qusetions.

Kindest regards,
Ian Hunneybell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back